In line with the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), May 2018, this Privacy Notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe.
we want you to be fully informed about your rights, and how Nautical-Equipment uses your data. We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us.
It is likely that we will need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of any significant changes, but you are welcome to come back and check it whenever you wish.
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent, for example, when you tick a box to receive email newsletters. When collecting your personal data, we’ll always make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. For example, when you order an item from us for home delivery, we will collect your address details to deliver your purchase, and pass them to our courier.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data. For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity affecting Nautical-equipment.
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
When Do We Collect Your Personal Data?
• When you visit our website, and use your account to buy products and services on the phone, or online
• When you make an online purchase and check out as a guest
• When you create an account with us
• When you purchase a product or service by phone but don’t have (or don’t use) an account
• When you engage with us on social media
• When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
• When you ask one of our employees to email you information about a product or service
• When you enter prize draws or competitions
• When you comment on or review our products and services
• Any individual may access personal data related to them, including opinions. So if your comment or review includes information about the employee who provided that service, it may be passed on to them if requested
• Boat shows or exhibitions should you give consent
Who Do We Share Your Personal Data With?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties, for example delivery companies and for fraud management
• We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services
• They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them
• We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times
• If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
• IT companies who support our website and other business systems
• Operational companies such as delivery couriers
• For fraud management, we may share information about fraudulent or potentially fraudulent activity in our premises or systems. This may include sharing data about individuals with law enforcement bodies
• We may also be required to disclose your personal data to the police or other enforcement, regulatory or Government body, in your country of origin or elsewhere, upon valid request to do so. These requests are assessed on a case-by-case basis and take the privacy of our customers into consideration
What Sort Of Personal Data Do We Collect?
• If you have a web account with us: your name, gender, billing/delivery address, orders and receipts, email and telephone number.
• Details of your interactions with us through our contact form, online, via social media. For example we collect notes from our conversations with you, details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases you made and how and when you contact us.
• Details of your visits to our website
• Payment card information
• Your comments and product reviews.
• Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback
How and Why Do We Use Your Personal Data?
We want to give you the best possible customer experience. One way to achieve that is to get the richest picture we can of who you are by analysing the data we have about you. We then use this to offer you promotions, products and services that are most likely to interest you.
The data privacy law allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers and providing the highest levels of service. Of course, if you wish to change how we use your data, you’ll find details in the ‘What are my rights?’ section below.
If you choose not to share your personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we might not be able to provide some services you’ve asked for.
Here’s How We Will Use Your Personal Data And Why:
• To process any orders that you make by using our website. If we don’t collect your personal data during checkout, we won’t be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations. For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party to supply or deliver the product that you have ordered and we may keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards in order to fulfil any contractual obligations such as refunds and so on
• To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints. Handling the information you sent enables us to respond. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience
• To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account. We’ll also monitor your browsing activity with us to quickly identify and resolve any problems and protect the integrity of our website. We’ll do all of this as part of our legitimate interest. For example, by checking your password when you log in and using automated monitoring of IP addresses to identify possible fraudulent log ins from unexpected locations
• To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests. This also helps to protect our customers from fraud
• We will use your personal data, to keep you informed by email about relevant products and services including special offers, discounts, promotions, events, competitions and so on
Of course, you are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
• To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you. For example, updates to this Privacy Notice, product recall notices, and legally required information relating to your orders. If we do not use your personal data for these purposes, we would be unable to comply with our legal obligations.
• To administer any of our prize draws or competitions which you enter based on your consent given at the time of entering
• To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement
How We Protect Your Personal Data?
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access to all transactional areas of our websites and apps using ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as payment card information) is secured by SSL or TSL encryption.
We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we carry out penetration testing to identify ways to further strengthen security.
How Long Will We Keep Your Personal Data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
An example of customer data retention periods:
When you place an order, we will keep the personal data you give us five years so we can comply with our legal and contractual obligations.
Where Your Personal Data May Be Processed?
Sometimes we will need to share your personal data with third parties and suppliers outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
If you are based outside the UK and place an order with us, the personal data we collect from you will be processed in the UK. Though in order to send your delivery to you your data may be transferred to a courier outside the EEA.
Any transfer of your personal data will follow applicable laws and we will treat the information under the guiding principles of this Privacy Notice.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS OVER YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
You have the right to request:
Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases
• The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete
• For example, when you withdraw consent, or object and we have no legitimate overriding interest, or once the purpose for which we hold the data has come to an end
• That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either specific channels, or all channels)
• That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent
You have the right to request a copy of any information about you that Nautical-Equipment holds at any time and also to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate.
Your Right To Withdraw Consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where We Rely On Our Legitimate Interest
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking Your Identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice. If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
How Can You Stop The Use Of Your Personal Data For Direct Marketing?
Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you
Contact us directly at nautical-equipment